Nyack Community Tree Project: Free Front Yard Tree Program
The Nyack Community Tree Project (NCTP) is an Initiative to expand the tree canopy, enhance tree health and to diversify species within the Village of Nyack. This project is run by Village of Nyack staff and volunteers that participate in training sessions, tree planting and tree maintenance.
Over the past several years, the NCTP has planted trees in Memorial Park and in many public places and within the Village's right of ways. The street tree initiative was well received and due to many requests from homeowners for a tree program for planting on private property is now expanding.
Starting this fall, the Village will roll out their latest program called the Free Trees for Front Yards program. In many places along Nyack's streets there just isn't enough room for trees along the sidewalk or under the power lines. The Village of Nyack's Front Yard Tree Planting Program offers free trees to qualifying residents with yards that have adequate space for healthy trees to grow near the sidewalk and street.
At your request, a Village representative will come to see whether your front yard is eligible and determine what kinds of trees would be appropriate. On planting day in the fall or spring, the Department of Public Works staff and and local volunteers will work together to prepare planting sites and plant the trees according to best practices. Trees will be mulched and supplied with 20 gallon watering bags.
FALL PLANTING REQUESTS DUE BY 9/30/17
SPRING PLANTING REQUESTS DUE BY 12/31/17
- Water the tree for the first two years after planting - April through October, Approximately 20 gallons per week (a water cost of less than $5/year)
- Protect the tree - Keep mulch, mowers and weed whackers away from the trunk of the tree.
Why Street Trees Matter?
Street trees have numerous benefits! Here are just a few—
• Increase residential property values up to 37%
• Significantly reduce heating and cooling costs
• Reduce need for street maintenance and repaving
Health and Safety Benefits
• Improve air quality and reduce pollutants that cause respiratory problems
• Increase mental wellbeing and reduce stress
• Improve driving safety through traffic calming, accident reduction, and better pedestrian environment
• Lower crime and vandalism
• Reduce carbon emissions and ozone levels
• Reduce stormwater runoff and impacts on sewer infrastructure
• Cool inland areas by 10−20 degrees and reduce peak summer temperatures by up to 10°F
• Increase biodiversity and improve habitat for local wildlife
• Reduce noise pollution